Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Runaways are Back!


As a kid growing up in Chicago, I'll never forget hearing a song called "Cherry Bomb" on WMET. The song stuck in my head and I had to hear more! I mean a rock group with chicks... cool! Finally I went down to the record store and picked up their new album and I was in love.

What a lineup of great teenage rockers: Joan Jett, Cherie Curry, Lita Ford, and Sandy West. Layin' down a whole new sound to the 70's rock scene. Many of them would go on to successful solo careers like Joan and Lita. This band pretty much reigned from 1975-1979 and broke the glass ceiling for female rockers in the industry.

Now a whole new generation will be exposed to their story with the release of the new motion picture The Runaways. Featuring Hollywood's young elite, Twilight's Kristen Stewart as Jett and Dakota Faning as Curry. The movie hits theaters this month.

I remember seeing them in concert around 1977, as a young teenager myself with hormones ragin'. Seeing Lita Ford in tight roller-girl shorts has haunted me for life. Joan Jett rocked the house like no other, what a great band!

I was lucky to see a special screening of this movie and it is so incredible as it follows the true life rise and fall of this legendary rock group from the 70's. Go see it, or buy it when it hits DVD, such an insight into the world of rock n'roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment